Eight teenage girls were accused of the murder and assault of a Toronto man, aged 59. Some of the suspects were only 13 years old.
The three girls were all charged with 2nd-degree murder for the Sunday incident that took place in downtown Toronto shortly after midnight.
Terry Browne, a Homicide Detective, said Tuesday that passer-bys flagged him down after they found the man injured. He was then taken to the local hospital. He later died.
Investigators later confirmed that the man was a Toronto resident. He told investigators that he had lived in shelters in Toronto.
Browne said that the females were taken into custody by 52 Division officers because they were quick to act.
Police have not released the victim’s name nor can they release the names of the suspects because they are underage. Investigators said that three of the girls were aged 13, three were aged 14, and the last two were 16 years old.
Investigators believe the suspects met each other through social media and are from different parts of the city. They also believe they were involved in at least one other incident that evening in the city.
“We don’t know how or why they met that evening and why the destination was downtown Toronto,” Browne added. “I wouldn’t describe them as a gang at this point but what is alleged to have occurred that evening is what we would traditionally call a swarming.”
Browne said that three of the eight girls had interacted previously with police officers while five other girls didn’t.
Anyone who saw the girls, or had any interaction with them that night is needed by the police.
Watch this news clip to learn more about this shocking crime: