James Comer, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, said that he would begin the process to hold FBI Director Christopher Wray as in contempt of Congress despite having been briefed and viewed the document subpoenaed alleging Joe Biden had been involved in a criminal corruption scheme on Capitol Hill on Monday.
After a tussle between Republicans on the committee and the FBI over whether the form was compliant with his subpoena, the FBI delivered the document to Capitol Hill for Comer and Jamie Raskin to review.
The FBI originally offered to let Comer review the document at FBI Headquarters, but after Comer threatened to hold FBI Director Christopher Wray liable for contempt of Congress, they offered additional accommodations by bringing the physical document to Capitol Hill.
Comer stated Monday that despite the accommodations, the FBI has not yet complied with the subpoena requiring the FBI to provide the physical document.
Comer stated that “At this briefing, the FBI refused to give the unclassified records to the House Oversight Committee.” Comer said, “We will begin contempt hearings on Thursday.”
Comer said that Congress should investigate the seriousness and complexity of these allegations. “The investigation has not died.” “This is just the beginning.”
Comer confirmed that FBI officials confirmed on Monday that unclassified FBI records “have not been disproven” and are currently being used as part of an ongoing investigation. The confidential source, who gave information about Vice President by being involved in criminal bribery schemes is a highly trusted and credible informant. He has been employed by the FBI over the past ten years.
Comer said: “These facts are facts and no amount spin or lies from the White House, congressional Democrats, or anyone else can change them.”
Fox News Digital reported first Friday that the confidential source of information about Biden who gave it to the FBI had been a “pre-existing source” who was used in other investigations separate from Biden’s information.
Fox News Digital reported that the source said the FBI used the confidential human source for “at least several” years before generating the FD-1023 form detailing Biden’s allegations in June 2020.
Sources also said that Fox News Digital had confirmed the source’s “high credibility” after the FBI “regularly reviewed it.”
Source: The individual was involved in investigations during the Obama administration.
Raskin downplayed on Monday the document, the briefing, and the allegations. He said that the source was credible but the information he reported came from a “conversation with someone else.”
Raskin stated that the work being discussed is second-hand hearsay. “And that’s why it isn’t the source, that confidential source, that is the source of this particular claim. That confidential source is who reported it.” Someone else said this.”
The document was revealed after Comer, and GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, were approached by a source who claimed that the FBI had a document – an FD-1023, dated 30 June 2020 – which detailed the information given by a confidential person alleging Biden was involved in a criminal bribery with a foreigner in exchange for influence on policy decisions.
According to the whistleblower the information contained in the FD-1023 document reveals “a detailed description of the alleged criminal plan as well as the purpose of the scheme” and outlines an arrangement involving the exchange of money for decisions on policy.
FBI agents use a FD-1023 to document unverified reports from confidential sources. The form documents information that is given to an FBI agent. However, recording the information does not validate it or compare it to other information available to the FBI.