Israel has killed a Hamas commander in an airstrike over southern Lebanon, further testing the ceasefire that ended last year’s conflict between Israel and Lebanon’s Hezbollah.
Israeli military claimed that Hassan Farhat was the militant behind the rocket attack last year on Safed, which killed and injured several Israeli soldiers. It promised to take action against Hamas militants “wherever” they operate.
According to a security source, Farhat and his daughter and son were killed in the attack in Sidon in southern Lebanon. Hamas al-Qassam Brigades, the Hamas armed wing, said Farhat had been assassinated at his apartment in Sidon. They praised Farhat’s “blessed contribution” to the conflict with Israel throughout the years.
Hamas is an ally of Hezbollah, and in 2023, Hezbollah began a cross-border campaign against Israel to show its solidarity with the Palestinians. Israel launched a massive air and ground operation in Lebanon that resulted in the death of a large part of Hezbollah’s leadership last year.

The office of Lebanese Premier Nawaf Salm said that Israel’s attack on Friday was a clear breach of the ceasefire supported by the United States, which ended last year’s war between Israel & Hezbollah.
In recent weeks, the ceasefire appears to be in danger, as Israel has struck twice at Hezbollah’s southern suburbs in Beirut, and two rockets have been fired from Lebanon into Israel.
Hezbollah denies any involvement in the recent rocket attack.